Oblong | On Oct. 8, Pastor Jeff Monroney’s church celebrated a milestone anniversary with preaching, music, and testimonies of answered prayers.
Prior Grove Baptist Church was established in 1892, and still meets in the building dedicated just two years later. The church has been updated and added to since then, but the original wood ceiling is still intact, including the hooks used to hang kerosene lamps before the building got electricity in 1948.
Monroney, a bivocational pastor who has served the church for 16 years, also works as a substitute special education teacher in the area.
IBSA Executive Director Nate Adams presented a plaque to the church and preached in the Sunday morning worship service, followed by a fellowship meal. Then, the church gathered again for the anniversary celebration, featuring special music by current church members, and testimonies and memories from former members.
Outside the building sat another historical artifact: a Ford Model A owned by Harlan Sholders, who drove it to church every Sunday from 1931 until 1970. His great-grandson, Gary Wolverton, attends Prior Grove now and drives the car to church on special occasions.