A great beginning can set the pace for a great year. These tips to plan your women’s ministry kickoff event can be tweaked to launch youth activities, choir, or another ministry at your church. Get ready for an awesome kickoff day!
1. Invite. Invite. Invite. Plan for every female attender of your church to receive a printed and a verbal personal invitation. Create a Facebook event. Ask members to forward an e-invitation to friends. Publicize in your church publications, church website, and community newspaper.
2. Consider first impressions. Does your meeting space need fresh paint or updated art? Are restrooms and hallways spotless? Update directional signs. Create a quick registration process. Add fresh flowers, extra greeters, and extra seating.
3. Make it worth her minutes! Plan every meeting well, beginning on kickoff day. Keep a relaxed atmosphere, but be purposeful. Begin and conclude precisely on time. Put long announcements in print.
4. Make it special. Add an extra touch to the kickoff event, such as a unique guest speaker, brunch, a surprise decoration, or a gift.
5. Encourage friendships. Wear nametags. Draw names for prayer partners or assign mentors. Understand that a coffee break offers valuable conversation time. Introduce guests to new friends.
6. Add action. Explain how your group plans to impact your community and your world for Christ. Redirect your group’s focus from inward to upward and outward.
7. Point to Jesus. From kickoff day to year’s end, every action or spoken word must honor him. Be joyful. Pray. Share your personal Jesus story. Invite newcomers to Sunday worship.
8. Ask for a commitment. At the close of your kickoff event, ask women to register to join a group. Group leaders should call or e-mail their class members before next week. Have sign-up sheets for snacks, retreats, projects, volunteer jobs, etc. Snap digital headshots for an online directory. Provide a printed list of upcoming projects and events.
A great opening day requires lots of prayer, planning, and work, but when people come together to know and serve our Savior, it will be worth it all. Get ready for kickoff!
© Diana Davis is author of “Fresh Ideas for Women’s Ministry.”